Sunday, August 24, 2008

It only comes once a year and seems just like the day before.

What am I babbling about ? Birthdays of course.

I just had my birthday in the recent past,and I turned 20.

I remember as a child staying up extra late (which when I was younger my bedtime was 9:30pm.) with anticipation for the day to come.It made you excited not only for the gifts but for the future.
My birthdays were not big, and I did not mind. I hardly had a social status that allowed me to invite friends over for parties, so it was perfect with the family. I use to sit and think "Wow, I am almost an adult and will be able to have parties and friends." I always thought being older was better. In ways it is, I have 100 percent more independence, but on the other hand I am not that naive child that believed everyone in the world was kind.
I see people now in my age how they really are. I am glad to know good people now, and I still try to help troubled people. When growing up I wanted to have a job helping people and expressing myself creatively. It's funny now I can say I am grown up, but I still have things to learn. College is something that was not pressured or encouraged in my family. I had a rough time growing up mentally, and my parents believed I was not cut out for a higher education whether I wanted it or not.
With now being an adult (only by numbers not always in maturity) I made my path a challenge by going to college . I know I have a talent, art. I wish to follow what I want for once and not sit back and be toyed with like a puppet.
So, here is to my twenties ! I know I will make something of it, and this year is the turning of a new leaf. I am no longer sitting back , I am taking control.

Your birthday comes once a year, but those years are part of your past and future.

- Rachel

No comments: